What is IANDS?
The International Association for Near-Death Studies (IANDS) is an educational nonprofit 501(c)(3) membership group, focused on providing the highest quality information available about NDE-related subjects. It is the only group of its kind in the world.
The purpose of IANDS is to promote responsible, multi-disciplinary exploration of near-death and similar experiences, their effects on people’s lives, and their implications for beliefs about life, death, and human purpose. IANDS publishes a peer-reviewed scholarly journal and a member magazine, sponsors conferences and other events for near-death studies, maintains an NDE information-rich website, and encourages the formation of regional discussion and support groups just like the Sacramento IANDS Group.
~In short, IANDS has helped change the public perception of what it is like to die.~
IANDS began as an informal consortium of academic researchers, not long after the publication of Raymond Moody’s Life After Life in 1975. The founders of IANDS include:
- John Audette, MS,
- Bruce Greyson, MD,
- Raymond Moody, MD,
- Kenneth Ring, PhD, and
- Michael Sabom, MD.
For over 40 years, IANDS has continued to encourage independent research into NDEs. Wherever in the world knowledge from NDE research and scholarship reaches, and wherever compassionate people educated by that information are able to offer understanding and support to their community — that is IANDS in action.
We invite you to join IANDS today to become a part of the mission to help change public perception of what it is like to die. Your membership helps provide the financial support for IANDS to pursue this mission.
By Joining IANDS You Get:
- Insight into near-death experiences through the IANDS website, magazine and journal, conference and educational offerings, and email services, and
- IANDS will deliver an NDE account to your email box every month and will keep you abreast of the latest research, media coverage, and how the near-death experience is being interpreted by researchers and thinkers around the globe.
IANDS Members Enjoy a Wide Range of Benefits:
- The Basic membership level includes the quarterly newsletter, Vital Signs, conference discounts, and an e-mail service with breaking research and news.
- The Supporting membership level, the most popular membership level, adds to these benefits a larger array of services including access to the Index of Periodical Literature, a free DVD or CD of a past conference, and other research-based e-mail and internet-based services.
- The Professional membership level, for those seeking the most information on NDEs, adds the peer-reviewed Journal of Near-Death Studies, and a listing in the Electronic Networking Directory—a working database of Professional members.
- The Sponsor membership adds two free gift memberships for relatives or friends.
- The Patron membership provides a lunch or dinner with a keynote speaker at an IANDS conference and a book about Near-Death Experiences.
- The Benefactor membership offers free attendance at the next IANDS conference (maximum $400 value) and the knowledge that you are making a significant contribution to IANDS.
Visit iands.org/about/membership/join-iands.html to view membership levels and benefits.